Call us : +91 - 22 - 2447 5000

Email : [email protected]



our profile

what we offer

comparitive analysis

client profile

mgi worldwide

more questions?

get in touch

Permanent Account Number (PAN)
Permanent Account Number (PAN) is a Unique Identification Number allotted by Income Tax Department to each applicant.

As per the guidelines issued by the Government of India, any person, Resident, Non-Resident or Foreign Citizen, should have a PAN for carrying out financial transactions like.


Set up your
company in India

Liaison / Branch
office in India

Outsource maintenance
of your company in india
NRI - Advisory
and tax filing
Foreign Exchange
Laws - FEMA
Pricing Laws
Off shore structures
for Indians
Permanent Account Number (PAN)

Permanent Account Number (PAN) is a Unique Identification Number allotted by Income Tax Department to each applicant

As per the guidelines issued by the Government of India, any person, Resident, Non-Resident or Foreign Citizen, should have a PAN for carrying out financial transactions like :

  • Investment in Mutual Fund

  • Opening of a bank a/c in India

  • Purchase or sale of Property etc.

Following entities can apply for a PAN card

  • Individual

  • Hindu Undivided Family (HUF)

  • Private Limited Company & Public Limited Company

  • Partnership Firm

New Page 1

  Quick Query
Verification Code

Write to us and our team member will revert within 24 hours

Key Budget 2017 Highlights
Download PDF
Monthly Mailers




  • Trusts
  • Artificial Juridical Person
  • Foreign Company
  • Local Authority
  • Association of Person
  • Liaisoning office etc.

The process for application for PAN is as under

  • Fill up Form 49A,
  • Attach a proof of identity(as per point 2 below),
  • Attach proof of residence(as per point 2 below),
  • Submit the set to NSDL /UTI,
  • After submission, acknowledged copy is received which is used for further follow-up with Department.

Above steps (1 to 3) are explained in detail below.

Form 49A
PAN is required to be applied under Form 49A.

Instructions for Filling the Form 49A :

  • Form to be filled in BLOCK LETTERS and in BLACK INK only.
  • Each box, provided for filling the details, should contain only one character.
  • Photograph is required only in the case if Applicant is Individual. In case of other applicants, box for photographs has to be left blank.
  • Signature / left thumb impression should only be within the box provided. It should not be made across the photograph attached. Thumb impression, if used, should be attested by Magistrate or Notary or Gazetted officer.
  • Every applicant, other than, Individual, is required to affix its rubber stamp across the signature.

Identity proof & Residence Proof

Every applicant is required to provide proof for identity & residence. Documents which are considered as identity proof & residence proof are listed below :

Category Documents Required


For Proof of Identity* (Copy of any one of the following)

  • School Leaving Certificate

  • Degree of Recognized Educational Institution

  • Credit Card

  • Water Bill

  • Property Tax Assessment Order

  • Voterís Identity card

  • Matriculation Certificate

  • Depository Account

  • Bank Account

  • Ration card

  • Passport

  • Driving License

For Proof of Residence* (Copy of any one of the following)

  • Utility Bill

  • Depository Account

  • Credit Card

  • Bank Account

  • Ration card

  • Employer Certificate

  • Passport

  • Voterís Identity card

  • Property Tax Assessment Order

  • Driving License

  • Rent Receipt


Above mentioned documents in respect of Karta of the HUF


Copy of certificate of Registration issued by Registrar of company


Copy of certificate of Registration issued by Registrar of Firms or Copy of Partnership Deed


Copy of trust deed or Copy of Certificate of Registration Number issued by Charity commissioner.

AOP/BOI/Local authority/Artificial Juridical Person

Copy of Agreement or Copy of Certificate of Registration Number issued by Charity commissioners or Registrar of Co-operative Society or any other Competent Authority or any other document originating from any Central or State Government Department establishing identity and address of such person

* : If the Applicant is Foreign Citizen/Non resident Indian (refer FAQ no.9) documents for Identity proof & Residence proof are required to get attested by Indian Embassy in the home country of the Applicant. 


Our professional fees for PAN application are INR 1500 *
* service tax @12.36% is chargeable extra

Frequently Asked Questions :

Q1. How long does it take to get a PAN?

A1 : PAN application by Resident Indians takes approximately 2 to 3 weeks and application by Non-Resident or Foreign Citizen takes approximately 4 to 6 weeks.

Q2. Can I provide a black and white photograph for PAN application?

A2 : No.

Q3. Am I required to provide residential & office both addresses in PAN application?

A3 : No. Address details provided are used for communication by Income Tax department with Applicant. It can either be residential or office address. You may please take a note that PAN card gets delivered at the address mentioned in Application Form.

Q4. I am a foreign citizen staying in India for employment purpose. Do I need to get my residence and identity proofs attested by Indian Embassy in my home country?

A4 : No. If you are employed in India, there is no need to get your copies attested by Indian Embassy provided you give a bank statement with a Indian address on it. It shows that you are residing in India for employment purposes.

Q5. I am holding a PAN. What procedure I have to follow if there is any change in the details provided in the original PAN application.

A5 : If there are any changes such as change in address, change in last name etc. you are required to fill up ĎChange in PAN dataí Form. Documents should be produced supporting the changes suggested in application form.

Q6. I want to apply for PAN but cannot do as I cannot sign? How should I proceed?

A6 : In such cases, Left Hand Thumb impression of the applicant should be affixed on Form at the place meant for signatures and got attested by a Magistrate or a Notary Public or a Gazetted Officer, under official seal and stamp.

Q7. Is it compulsory to mention contact details on application Form?

A7 : Contact details are not compulsory, but if provided it may help in faster communication.

Q8. Is fatherís name compulsory for female (including married / divorce/widow) applicants?

A8 : Father's name is required to be filled in the PAN application. Female applicants, irrespective of marital status, should write father's name in the PAN application

Q9. I am a non-resident Indian residing outside India. Am I required to get the residence & identity proof attested by Indian Embassy?

A9 : If you are holding a Indian passport, attestation requirement can be dispensed with. If you donít hold a Indian passport, you are required to get the copies attested.

Q10. Am I required to give Representative Assessee details in PAN application?

A10 : No. It is not mandatory to give this details. However if the Assessee does not have a permanent residence address in India & he wants the PAN to be delivered on Indian address, he can appoint any person as his Representative & get the PAN card copy delivered at his address. In this case, Representative Assessee is also required to give his identity & address proofs.




All the contents of article are only for general information or use. They do not constitute advice and should not be relied upon in making (or refraining from making) any decision. Kamdar Desai & Patel hereby excludes any warranty, express or implied, as to the quality, accuracy, timeliness, completeness, performance, fitness for a particular purpose of the Site or any of its contents, including (but not limited) to any financial tools contained within the article. Kamdar Desai & Patel will not be liable for any damages (including, without limitation, damages for loss of business projects, or loss of profits) arising in contract, tort or otherwise from the use of or inability to use this article, or any of its contents, or from any action taken (or refrained from being taken) as a result of using this article or any such contents. Kamdar Desai & Patel makes no warranty that the contents of the article are free from infection by viruses or anything else which has contaminating or destructive properties.

About Us
Maintenance of your structure in India:
Outsource maintenance of your company in India
* Accounting
* Pay Roll Accounting
* Statutory Compliance
* Head Office Reporting
You have formed a company, Know more about
your obligations in India.
Contact Us
SUMATI SMRUTI CHS, 296 Cadell Road,
Dadar (W), Mumbai - 400 028. 
+91-22-2447 5000
[email protected]


© 2014.KDP Chartered Accountants. All Rights Reserved.

Privacy Policy | Disclaimer | Payment